NYSE Arca, a fully electronic exchange, trades more than 8,000 listed equity securities and options, including on the NASDAQ.
Currency: US Dollar (USD)
As of 2007, NYSE Arca is the second-largest electronic communication network in terms of shares traded. Approximately one out of every six shares traded on the American financial markets is traded on the system. For New York Stock Exchange–listed securities or Tape A, it accounts for just over 10% of the shares traded. For NASDAQ-listed securities, NYSE Arca accounts for approximately 20% of the trading volume. For exchange-traded funds, NYSE Arca accounts for 30–40% of the traded volume.
Note: not all order types are available for every gateway.
- Inside Limit Buy/Sell→ShortSell (Day)
- Limit Buy/Sell→ShortSell (Day/FOK/IOC)
- Limit-on-Close (LOC) & Limit-on-Open (LOO) Buy/Sell→ShortSell
- Market Buy/Sell→ShortSell (Day/FOK)
- Market-on-Close (MOC) & Market-on-Open (MOO) Buy/Sell→ShortSell
- Pegged Midpoint/Market/Primary Buy/Sell→ShortSell (Day)
- Reserve Limit Buy/Sell→ShortSell (Day)
- Stop Limit Buy/Sell→ShortSell (Day)
Basic Market Rules
- Lot Size: 100 shares. See NYSE Arca Rule 7.5.
- Tick Size: less than $1.00, 0.0001; $1.00 or greater, 0.01. See NYSE Arca Rule 7.6.
Circuit Breakers: between 6:45 am and 12:35 pm Pacific Time, or in the case of an early close, 25 minutes before the closing of trading, if the price of a security moved by a percentage specified below within a five-minute period, trading in that security shall immediately pause on the exchange for a period of 5 minutes:
- A) 10% or more with respect to securities included in the S&P 500 Index, Russell 1000 Index, and the Invesco PowerShares QQQ exchange traded fund;
- B) 30% or more with respect to all Tier 2 NMS Stocks with a price equal to or greater than 4; and
- C) 50% or more with respect to all Tier 2 NMS Stocks with a price less than $1.
The determination that the price of a stock is equal to or greater than $1 in b) or less than $1 in c) shall be based on the closing price on the previous trading day, or, if no closing price exists, the last sale reported to the Consolidated Tape on the previous trading day. See NYSE Arca Rule 7.11.
- Short Sale Rules: short selling is allowed but must be declared in the order. See NYSE Arca Rule 7.16.
For more information, see the Equities Rules page.
Pre-Opening Session: 3:30
- Limit orders can be entered starting at 3:30 and will be queued until the Limit Order Auction at 4:00
Opening Session: 4:00 – 9:30
- 3:59 – 4:00 – Opening Auction Freeze Period
- 4:00 – Limit Order Opening Auction
- 9:29 – 9:30 – Market Order Freeze Period
- 9:30 – Market Order Auction
Orders that are eligible for the Limit Order Opening Auction and Market Order Auction may not be cancelled one minute prior to the Opening Session until the conclusion of the Opening Auction.
Market Orders and Auction-Only Limit Orders may not be canceled. Market Orders and Auction-Only Limit orders may not be entered on the same side as an imbalance.
Core Trading Session: 9:30 – 16:00
- 15:59 to 16:00 – Closing Auction Freeze Period
- 16:00 – Closing Auction Run and Closing Price Disseminated. All Day Orders entered for the core session will be canceled.
- Market-on-Close (MOC) and Limit-on-Close (LOC) orders cannot be canceled during the Freeze Period (15:59 – 16:00). MOC and LOC orders may not be entered on the same side as an imbalance.
Extended Hours: 16:00 – 20:00
- 20:00 – Limit Orders entered after 16:00 are canceled.
- 20:01 – Portfolio Crossing System (PCS) Cross Orders are executed at the conclusion of extended trading hours.